At Tuesday’s weigh-in’s, Karl Roberson (9-2 MMA, 4-2 UFC) tipped the scale at 187.5lbs, which is 1.5lbs over the middleweight competition limit. His opponent, Martin Vettori (14-3-1 MMA, 4-2-1 UFC) hit the mark and was ready to go.
Roberson would then spent the next 29 hours in a local Jacksonville hospital. Sources say the Roberson fell ill overnight and was taken in for treatment. The health-related issues were a result of cutting weight, not COVID-19 related, resulting in UFC cancelling the middleweight bout. With the issues being classified as minor, rescheduling to the May 16 “UFC on ESPN 8” was discussed; however, ruled to be too soon, as reported by MMA Junkie.
Ariel Helwani first reported Roberson’s pulling of the event, which UFC confirmed with a statement of their own.
“Due to medical issues unrelated to COVID-19 after his weight cut, Karl Roberson has been pulled from his Wednesday bout with Marvin Vettori at VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena in Jacksonville,” the statement read. “The UFC Fight Night card, headlined by the bout between Anthony Smith and Glover Teixeira, will proceed as scheduled with 10 bouts.”
The UFC on ESPN+ 29 restructured card is as follows:
- Anthony Smith vs. Glover Teixeira
- Ben Rothwell vs. Ovince Saint Preux
- Drew Dober vs. Alexander Hernandez
- Ray Borg vs. Ricky Simon
- Andrei Arlovski vs. Philipe Lins
- Michael Johnson vs. Thiago Moises
- Sijara Eubanks vs. Sarah Moras
- Hunter Azure vs. Brian Kelleher
- Chase Sherman vs. Ike Villanueva
- Gabriel Benitez vs. Omar Morales